Concept 24 The RNA message is sometimes edited.
Rich Roberts is Director of Research for New England Biolabs, one of the first commercial sources for restriction enzymes that is today a leading supplier of molecular biology reagents.
Phil Sharp is the Salvador E. Luria Professor of Biology at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. His laboratory studies both the catalytic processes responsible for splicing and the nature of the factors conferring specificity.
- Go to:
- Phil Sharp
- How Richard Roberts first became interested in restriction enzymes - hearing a talk by Dan Nathans.
- Describing the early work purifying restriction enzymes.
- Describing the early experimental evidence for 'interrupted' RNA transcripts that went on to suggest the subsequent electron micrograph studies.
- Describing the set up of the electron micrograph experiments.
- Performing the electron micrograph DNA/RNA hybridizations, and seeing the results.
- Should an aspiring student pursue a career in science? -- finding and developing your passion.