Concept 21 RNA is an intermediary between DNA and protein.
Dr. Zamecnik was Professor Emeritus at Harvard University, and a member of the Board of Directors of Hybridon, Inc., a biotechnology company he helped found, until he passed away in 2009.
- Describing an early experience that led to interest in studying protein synthesis.
- The background and motivation for developing a cell-free protein synthesis system, and how the focus soon changed to finding out 'what the machinery was like.'
- Describing the cell fractionation experiments to isolate the components needed for protein synthesis.
- The role of 'pseudo-serendipity' in making discoveries: finding the missing RNA components in the protein synthesis system.
- Finding tRNA and identifying its role in protein synthesis.